Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hawaiian Chicken Supreme

While recently learning about Japanese culture and cosmopolitan cuisines I was reminded of what I have learned about my mother’s traditional German childhood. Amazingly enough there are many similarities such as both cultures focus heavily on the lunch meal. Unfortunately for me I have always been to rushed to eat a healthy breakfast like a true German would so I’ve tried to make up for it by eating a heavy lunch. Morning classes without breakfast were always been hell but kinda like not eating before going to your favorite restaurant I appreciated the food so much more on an empty stomach. When I finally convinced mom and dad to get me a car and passed the tests to get into the running start program I gained my independence from cafeteria food! My junior year I had a coveted, get out of jail free card so that the hall nazi’s knew I was I going to the community college for class. Whenever I could, I would sit by the door in 2nd period and as soon as the bell rang I was off to college, but not before I picked up some lunch on my way.

This is where Bruchi’s, Zips, Quizno’s, Little Ceasar’s and many other semi-fast food restaurants came in. Much like in the film Tampopo I would strive for the best quality food at the fairest price. One of my favorite stops, Bruchi’s was owned by a school teacher that understood students need a discount. I often would order an incredibly filling sandwich with slow simmered chicken covered in a fragrant, light pineapple glaze inside of a French Roll. Normally I had just enough time to pickup something to eat and rush across town to the community college for class but when I went to Bruchi’s I knew I had to sit down for a few minutes to avoid wearing it. Although hardly colorful, the savory, sweet smell of the Hawaiian chicken more than compensated as I picked it up from the tray and tried to get a bite out of it before it dripped. For some reason this first bite always required that I set the steamy convection down and wipe the melted swiss cheese from my mouth. Right then it hit me that I’m in a hurry so I would pick it back up and continue however it just isn’t a sandwich that can be eaten quickly. If not for the flavors of the now soggy French bread along with a distinct, over-riding citrus, pineapple savor I would have quickly grown impatient with myself.

(FROM: http://www.bruchis.com/)

Like my German relatives, when lunch was over I was stuffed! The unfortunate part was that I found not to many police officers are ok with seeing a 16 years kid racing across town in his Honda around lunch time. On one occasion the officer was quite impressed with my college id and decided I couldn’t afford the ticket anyway but two other times I was guilty as charged. All things considered it may be better that we don’t have a Bruchi’s here in Seattle but whenever I return to Spokane I crave the nostalgia that is brought by a stop at Bruchi’s.

No comments: