Sunday, June 1, 2008

Making Food Edible

The last two weekends I've been fortunate enough to be able to get out of the city for short, overnight camping trips with friends. Last week I made it half way across the state, down many country roads and ended up in a campground completely packed with tents and RV's. I quickly found myself wondering why I had driven so far but when I finally got a nice fire going I realized the answer.

It is easily argued that fire is the oldest trick in the book. I would like to continue that argument by saying that it may also be the most useful in terms of feeding ourselves. I arrived to the campsite in the afternoon and greeted a few old friends from Spokane who now live in Yakima. Lucky for me they had been sitting by the lake all day and had caught a decent sized rainbow trout, gutted it, and put it on ice so that it would be ready when I arrived. A few days before I had read the section in Pollan's book where he helped with the chicken processing and since I have never killed a chicken, I related it to killing the only food products I have ever killed, fish. On several occasions as a teenager I'd been a proud fish executioner with several weapons including a knife and my favorite, a mini, Mariners baseball bat. It's been along time since I've taken this kind of responsibility for the meat I eat so on the drive up there I was quite excited about somewhat localizing my food chain.


Since they had already taken that responsibility I decided the least I could do was cook it for them. I had done my research and since I rarely like any kind of fish I knew I had to do it right. To combat the fishy flavor I had spent some time finding a recipe that included several strong, citrus flavors. When I picked up the fish to rub the mixture in I was greeted by one of the worst smells ever (to me fish often smell worse than a dumpster) but once it had been rubbed down it my appetite began to return. We slapped the fish over the open, wood fire and like magic a meal I normally would cringe at became a meal I will remember for some time.

From: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1717,158187-242192,00.html

GRILLED RAINBOW TROUT
1 lb. fresh rainbow trout fillet
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tsp. olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Paprika
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 lime, cut into wedges
Prepare coals, preferably mesquite. Arrange trout fillet on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with lemon and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and thyme.

Grill over hot coals about 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when pricked with a fork. Serve with plenty of fresh lemon and lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: